Black Treasure

Black Treasure - fresh black truffles

I don´t think words can capture the joyous moments when I first place my hands on some precious fresh truffles. It is like a child so happy to find out what her Christmas present is after a long long wait. Well, in this case, the arrival of my truffles involves more than time but also a financial factor. Fresh truffles aren´t cheap. And until very recently they are far out of reach for home cook in Australia. Things have changed for the better but of course, truffles always carry a high price tag.

My truffles are from Perigord Truffles of Tasmania. During truffle season (which is right now in Australia), you can order from this company. The products then are sent by express mail in very organized container so that the truffles arrive in your hand in the perfect condition. Alternatively, W.A. truffles are available for purchase at Simon Johnson stores (I have yet to try them out).

My truffles package arrives!

I was extremely nervous cooking with truffles the first time. They were too precious to get wasted! Thus, a little research was done and I settled to use truffles in a simple dishes. Simple ingredients are the best to show case truffles scent. Truffles pair beautifully with light-flavoured fish (barramundi for examples), green vegetables or eggs – ingredients which are not so overwhelming.

Furthermore, truffles need to be used quickly since they lose fragrance over time. So if you order some, plan ahead! Neil from At my tables have some lovely truffles recipes on his blog if anyone needs more reference.

As for me, I opt to a dish from Shannon Bennett, chef/owner of Melbourne famous restaurant Vue de monde. Here, truffles lift the simple risotto to a perfect level. This is undoubtedly the best thing which has come out from my kitchen. It is also the most expensive meal I have ever cooked!

Black Truffles Risotto

I am sending this post to Weekend Herb Blogging. The host of this week is Kelly from Sounding My Barbaric Gulp. WHB is the brainchild of Kalyn´s Kitchen and we have some new rules regarding this event. Make sure you visit both of them!

Black Truffles Risotto

Adapted from a recipe by Shannon Bennett

Ingredients (to serve two or three very happy people)

Chicken mushroom stock (around 5 cups – see note)

Extra virgin olive oil

1 small onion, finely diced

200g risotto rice (I used carnaroli)

100ml dry white wine

30-50g black truffles, shaved

50g Grana Padano Parmesan cheese

50g butter

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Heat the stock in a large sauce pan over low heat.
  2. Heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan. Add onion and stir until the onion is soft. Add rice and cook until all grains are coated with oil. Deglaze with the white wine and cook until evaporated.
  3. Add in ½ cup of hot stock. Stir until the rice absorbs the stock. Keep doing so until the risotto is cooked to your liking. In the final ladle of stock, add in the truffles (save a few slice for garnish).
  4. Remove the rice from heat. Add in the cheese. Season.
  5. Serve immediately on warmed plates. Garnish with truffles shavings.

To make chicken mushroom stock: I improvise from Shannon Bennett´s idea and make an easier version: Put 500g chicken neck (bone), 700g sliced fresh mushrooms, one peeled onion (left whole), sprigs of thyme, 1 bay leave, some peppercorn and water (6-7 cups) in a slow cooker. Cook over night. Next day, discard all the solids and get the stock to a saucepan. Bring to the boil and reduce until you have 4-5 cups (or until you are happy with the concentrated mushroom flavours).

Black Truffles Risotto

24 Responses to Black Treasure

1. Kitt says:

She cooks!

2. Nora B. says:

Hi Anh….aaah, you are really tempting me. I have been contemplating buying truffles the last few weeks, and buying truffle oil the last few months. I think this is the push that I need!

3. Becky says:

This looks lovely I have never cooked with truffles but this is very tempting

4. thanh7580 says:

Wow, everywhere I look on the blogosphere, there’s truffles. I’m so tempted to buy some too, but Neil said that they were $2700 a kilo. That’s very very expensive.

5. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

Truffle risotto — such a wonderful, rich treat! I’d love to go truffle hunting some day, and I didn’t know that Tasmania is a place I could do that. A great reason to travel there!

6. Manggy says:

My word, that is one elegant-looking risotto. Black and white. All that’s missing is the tuxedo! :) Beautiful first shot too– the vermiform filigree pattern on the cross-section is just mesmerizing.

7. katiez says:

Oh. My. God. Truffle risotto! That has to be the height of decadent perfection. I’d just sit in a dark room with my spoon and a glass of champagne… and eat it all!

8. Lucy says:

Black Beauty.

9. neil says:

Ooh, that looks so good! Aren’t truffles so magical; I think that with them, simple is best, great job.

Kitt, thanks! It’s totally worth it!

11. Kalyn says:

What a wonderful sounding dish. I’ve never tasted actual truffles, and would love to try them!

12. Thermomixer says:

Nice work Anh. Getting into the truffles and showing what they do to you – mind-blowing.

13. Tim says:

I’ve been so thrilled to see Australian-grown truffles start to pop up around the place. They’re still expensive, but at least you’re not paying a premium for truffles that have been imported blind and been in transit for days.

14. Dhanggit says:

oh my this is something we only do for special occasion!! lovely delicious!

15. Ed says:

These look amazing. I bought some WA ones last year and made scrambled egg. they were pretty good. Yesterday I was told there is a truffle war going on about who’s taste best. Nice to kniow there are available mail order to this quality.

16. Y says:

How very luxurious, Anh! If I had some, I would probably make a risotto also. That, or a simple egg dish.

17. Maven says:

Amazing! I have never been so fortunate as to have truffles. The closest I’ve gotten us truffle oil. I would kill for that risotto right now!

18. Dee says:

I love! The truffles, of course. But how you capture the essence of the dish, especially. Your photos are stunning!

19. Natashya says:

I haven’t tried truffles before, I have never even seen them in real life. Only on the Iron Chef.

20. Sophie says:

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

21. The Little Teochew says:

WOW. Absolutely divine!

22. […] and also a good list about recipes with fresh truffles. In the end, we decided to cook black truffle risotto and grilled scallop with truffles for dinner that day. Because the truffle is quite big, we both […]

23. owyn johnny says:

Hi, that is such a great recipe, I get my fresh truffles for Truffle Hunter, I have been looking around for inspirations.. Thanks.

24. Lorraine says:

I just purchased my very first piece of Truffle on the weekend, a very small piece 10g (cost $25) and I’m very excited about cooking with it for the first time. I was hoping to make a Risotto, but looking at this recipe I’m thinking that 10g wont be enough. At $2,500 a kilo I think I will be saving this recipe for a very special occasion, for now I will settle for making some truffle butter or perhaps truffle eggs for breakfast tomorrow, yum!