Driving lessons. Recipe: chocolate covered sweet potatoes balls.

chocolate covered sweet potatoes balls

Right, so I am trying all my best learning how to drive.

Thing is, I am learning manual cars. Yes, the ones with the stick and gears. And man, it is so confusing to learn.

How many times did I stall the car? Numerous, countless, uncountable. I have the great ability to destroy car engine. Sigh. Oh, on top of that, I discovered that I love speed(ing). Right now, my instructor, a lovely lady from Kiwi land, is trying hard to put me in discipline.

Things are getting better, nevertheless. Still, gear change is a nightmare but I slowly get the hang of it. I can ride a proper motorbike so everyone is telling me that learning manual cars are as easy as pie. Huh? Cars and motorbikes are not the same, people! I (try to) believe that practice makes perfect, so even the husband and the sister scream in fear, I will still hold on and continue my quest. The quest to drive a manual car, that is!

Giving the chaos of driving lessons, I remain remarkably calm in the kitchen. At least it´s the familiar territory outside the madness of work, study, housework and car lessons. My MIL cannot understand why I find spending hours making jam relaxing. Guess it depends on personal hobbies, and I just love to cook and bake.

Now, I am turning a bit health conscious in this post. It´s a sweet dish again, but relatively healthier. These sweet potatoes balls are flavoured with maple syrup, then dip in melted organic dark chocolate before rolling over crushed peanuts. I am thinking pistachio or dried coconut strips will be equally lovely here. These balls are something sweet, lovely enough to brighten up the day (without large amount of guilt afterward).

chocolate covered sweet potatoes balls

chocolate covered sweet potatoes balls

Ingredients
1 small sweet potato (around 250g)
1-2 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
150g crushed roasted peanuts (or pistachios, sesame seeds…)
200g dark organic chocolate
2 tsp light flavoured oil

Boil the sweet potato until soft, mash well. Flavour the mash with maple syrup, depending how sweet you want it to be.
Roll the sweet potatoes into small balls, place aside.
Prepare the crushed peanuts, put into a large plate.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave (or over a double boiler if you have time and enough care). Add in the oil and whisk until everything is combined.
When the chocolate mixture is still warm, coat the sweet potatoes balls evenly with the chocolate, the roll over the crushed peanuts.
Place the balls in the fridge until the chocolate is set. These balls are nice when chilled.

38 Responses to Driving lessons. Recipe: chocolate covered sweet potatoes balls.

Good luck with the driving lessons Anh! Not sure if I should admit this openly but I had to take my driving test twice (in two countries – making it a total of four!) There's hope yet :) These sweet potato balls are so interesting, like a healthy truffle. Thanks for sharing.

2. Ravenous Couple says:

even we didn't have to learn manual! that's a hard way to start. I like the automatic atilla motorbikes myself 😉

3. Manggy says:

Tsk, tsk, don't go overboard on 4th gear 😉 And instruction number 2: get one of these to me, stat! (But drive safely!)

4. Pete says:

looks nice and yummy.

Good Luck with your driving lessons. The first car I drove and learned from was a manual car. Love your chocolate covered sweet potatoes balls.

Good luck with driving! I found learning in an automatic scary enough – but I know the manual thing will start to make sense to you soon! (It never will to me…)

7. WizzyTheStick says:

Good luck on the lessons. I passed my test on a manual but went straight to an automatic car after. Manual makes no sense to me. Confused as to how I passed the test, but grateful that I did. This dessert looks so interesting. Hmm I have never considered smothering sweet potatoes in chocolate before…looks tempting

8. veron says:

I never had luck with manual transmission… thank goodness for automatic here. I'll sure you'll get the hang of it specially with these delicious potato balls to keep you going. :)

9. Belle@Ooh, Look says:

It's surprising the number of 'older' learner drivers out there, and learning on a manual car must be hard. Good luck with it – hopefully you can offset the stress of driving with the calm of baking and eating :)

10. Ju (The Little Teochew) says:

During my time, driving lessons = manual cars. It was compulsory. I used to grumble a lot cos I knew I would definitely buy an auto car if I passed. Years later, they relaxed the rule to allow people to learn driving using auto. I guess they finally came to their senses! I love how you use sweet potato balls to make these "truffles".

Good luck with your driving lessons! These sweets look so good, and it's a total bonus that they're healthy! :)

I hate manual cars! To choose btw driving manual cars and baking (you know I don't bake), I will choose the latter!

13. Sook says:

Thank you so much for visiting "My fabulous recipes" I am glad that I found your blog, too, that way. These balls look phenomenal! I have never had anything like these before. They look great!

14. Murasaki Shikibu says:

Interesting stuff. I have all the ingredients to make this too! 😀

15. noobcook says:

hope you get your license soon! those sweet potatoes balls are pretty, reminds me of truffles :)

16. Xiao Yen Recipes says:

This is such a yummy treat! I love chocolate and I will opt for pistachios when making mine.

17. Xiao Yen Recipes says:

Love the simple recipes on your blog and I've added you to my blogroll. My daughters love baking and your recipes are very easy for them to follow through.

18. zurin says:

what an interesting recipe to make truffles with!

19. Heather says:

The sweet potato balls look delicious! Definitely going to try them.

20. ChichaJo says:

Hang in there Anh! I learned to drive late in life, yes on a manula as well, after various boyfriends, my dad, and my brother all failed to teach me. I finally did it and so can you! You go girl! :)

21. cookingpractice says:

but you have automatic cars there, ch

22. Dragana says:

It seams easy to make. That is what I am looking for… Good luck with the driving lessons! I am sure it would be peanuts for you to pass the test! On my blog (www.ellad2.com) you can see one good recipe for muffins what I got from my reader. I put it in the category of "No way to fail Muffins recipe" :)

23. Barbara says:

Hang in there with the driving lessons, Anh! I learned on a shift too!

24. Lauren says:

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods… combine them with chocolate and nuts, and I'm in heaven! Great recipe.

25. Heavenly Housewife says:

Fascinating! I have never seen a sweet potato truffle. I'll bet its awesome. Looking at the picture is making me want it :)

26. Lisa says:

Just divine! What a unique creation.

27. redmenace says:

It never occurred to me to make sweet potato balls. Great idea. They look so good! And, learning to drive a stick… Ugh. I learned the hard way– in hilly San Francisco!

28. Julia @Mélanger says:

Oh my gosh, these look and sound delicious. Like nothing I've had before. Very interesting.

29. Iron Chef Shellie says:

Don't worry! I was hopeless when learning to drive a manual. Now I drive so smoothly, people think I drive an automatic =D

30. Cookie baker Lynn says:

I miss driving with a stick shift! You'll get the hang of it and love it soon. I love the guilt-free chocolates!

31. Angie says:

You'll get use to the stick and never want to go back. It takes time to figure it out. Hang in there! I learned on a old stick truck that wouldn't stay running, every time I pushed the clutch, it stalled, and I had to pop it started, it also had a bad starter. At least its not a column shift, google that one, its crazy hard! The food looks great too, thanks for visiting my blog!

32. theUngourmet says:

I once went to test drive a car with a manual transmission without knowing how to drive one. I scared the salesman to death I think! :D

33. Chelsea Talks Smack says:

um, the title of this alone- makes me incredibly happy. sigh.

34. Elle says:

I still remember the challenge of learning to drive manual car…and it was many, many years ago. My poor boyfriend who taught me…luckily he was very patient and kind. Keep going…it does get easier with practice. BTW it might be easier if you kept your speed slower…less harm to the gears that way although less thrilling :) If you want to be even happier and learn to make your own sourdough

35. Arwen from Hoglet K says:

The sweet potato balls are a lovely idea! Good luck with the driving.

36. Arwen from Hoglet K says:

The sweet potato balls are a lovely idea! Good luck with the driving.

37. Cooking Fans says: