No-baked white chocolate pot de crème

… random thoughts…

White chocolate pot de creame

The past week has been one of the hardest times I have experienced. Sadness, and the linger feeling of losing something or someone precious.

The incidents in Japan have surely rocked our world. I guess we all felt shocked, small and powerless. Little can we reach out and help those affected by the natural disaster. And now, we can do is pray that Fukushima development will be for the better.

On the personal front I felt as though a massive earthquake also occurred in my world. A friendship has been lost perhaps forever. It ended so unexpectedly and in the most abrupt way, I was lost for words. I felt numb, then anger and pain. I thought we were there together, building something for the better. Once the trust was lost, what was there to talk about?

Life, however, continues. True I have been overwhelmed by my own emotion. That is when I look around and see the bigger picture. Besides the heartbreaking reports on the Japanese disaster, there are also articles on hope and courage of the people on the ground and how the whole world is with them.  There is something that is not lost…

I wrote about the inspiration for the white chocolate pot de crème on my Vietnamese blog. It is from a friend who loves white chocolate since she likes its total sweetness and richness, without any bitterness. Like childhood, she said. I sometimes mock her for such a ridiculous rationale. But now it is me who yearns for childhood, with its sweetness, purity and innocence.

Children yet, the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.
In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:
Ever drifting down the stream –
Lingering in the golden gleam –
Life what is it but a dream?
“Through the Looking Glass” by Lewis Carroll

Children three that nestle near, Eager eye and willing ear,  Pleased a simple tale to hear --
No-baked white chocolate pot de crème

I have Ju of the Little Teochew to thank for the inspiration. I love this pot de crème a lot – it´s sweet, cooling and indulging. The richness is evident, so it is best served in small quantity. I didn´t add any sugar since white chocolate tends to be very sweet already. Feel free to taste and adjust the recipe to your liking.

White chocolate pot de creme

Printable recipe

Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream
115g white chocolate (I used Lindt)
6 egg yolks
Dash of fleur de sel
1 tsp vanilla

Heat the cream and chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, beat together the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a medium-large bowl. Set aside.

When the cream mixture is almost at a simmer, gradually pour it into the bowl with the egg yolks and add vanilla, whisking to combine as you do so. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring almost constantly, on medium-low until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (or reaches 175-180 degrees, if you have an instant read thermometer), about five minutes. Do not let the mixture overheat or worse, burn.

Leave the custard in the saucepan to cool slightly before pouring into serving ware of your choice, and then place into the fridge for chilling. As soon as the custard firms up, it is ready for eating.

56 Responses to No-baked white chocolate pot de crème

1. OohLookBel says:

The events around the world do give us pause for thought, but there is always hope.

2. aneyefordetail says:

Hi Anh: I am a follower, from a long distance away…North Carolina!

so sorry for your loss – the japan earthquake reports must intensify the feeling of suffering in the world so I am glad you can also see the hope there too

4. Forager @ The Gourmet Forager says:

A sad and moving post and I'm sorry for your loss – hope you're ok. The sweetness and richness in this recipe should bring a smile back to your lips though.

5. Min {Honest Vanilla} says:

No-bake, definitely my game :) Your presentation is always gorgeous and so inspiring!

6. Lick My Spoon says:

I'm sorry to hear about the events taking place in your life and in Japan. Hope everything takes a turn for the better in your life and around us as well. And the pots the creme look delicious :)

7. The Sweetylicious says:

this look so lovely and refreshing (: im sure it taste yummy!

I'm really sorry for what you're going through with the friendship, or the end of it. I'll never forget the "break-up" I experienced with my year 10 best friend. We're friendly enough now when we run into each other, but there were too many tears at the time to ever completely patch things up.

9. Monet says:

What a lovely post. I know where you are coming from all too well. In the midst of all this confusion/tragedy I´m facing, I find solace in these pictures…and in your words. Thank you for sharing with me..and thank you for supporting me through the good and the bad. May your week be full of laughter and love. Hold onto those you love.

10. leaf (the indolent cook) says:

I hope things will pick up soon, both for those in Japan and for you, whatever is going on in your world. I can certainly see the peace and optimism in this sweet little dessert!

11. Ellie @ Kitchen Wench says:

I'm sorry to hear about you losing a friend – loss is loss is loss, and is always a sorrowful thing :(

Mmmhh, luscious! Those must be divine.

13. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Anh, I'm so sorry to hear about the lost friendship, it's always hard to lose someone we counted on to be there for us. I think you could use a little extra sweetness in your life and chocolate always does wonders.

Sorry to hear about the friendship Anh. And the situation in Japan is weighing heavily on all our minds. Hopefully the pots de creme provided a little touch of comfort.

15. La Table De Nana says:

I am so sorry for you also..cannot imagine someone not staying true to you..

Looks lovely and delicious. Sorry for your lost friendship.

17. a frog in the cottage says:

this is a real delight, awsome & delicious !

18. Zara says:

Hi Anh, beautiful shots and the dessert looks tempting!

19. Jennifer (Delicieux) says:

I am so sorry for the problems you are having with your friendship. I hope these delicious little pots of yumminess provided some comfort. They look absolutely amazing.

20. Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! says:

Many friends come and go in our lives, sometimes unexpectedly but life does go on and we all deal with it in our own ways, not to say it's a pleasant experience.

21. Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul says:

Sorry to hear about the recent events that rattled your world Anh…it's true what you say about looking at the bigger picture. I must say that pot de creme looks very comforting!

22. ChichaJo says:

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss — the end of a friendship is sad any way you look at it. Sending you a virtual hug and an nice cup of tea to go with this rich delicious pots! Hang in there and know that a lot of people are thinking of you too :)

23. Deeba PAB says:

Japan has thrown the world into shock, and the scale was just horrific. Sometimes life is so tough at the micro and macro level, you wonder how you can ever cope. Sorry your world turned upside down my sweet … leaves you wondering forever I'm sure. For you, better will surely come. You are the best … and so is this beautiful dessert. I wondered why they were yellow while looking at the

24. Janine says:

This is my first time stumbling onto your blog – and everything about it is lovely – love your photography and the unique graphics on your blog :) hope things are looking better on a personal front for you now!

25. Maria says:

We have been shocked about the devastation in Japan as well and I'm sorry to hear about your personal loss! This dessert looks lovely and comforting :-)

26. Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy says:

I m sorry to hear about your loss Anh.Japan has shown the mighty horrific face of Mother Nature to us humans.She is not always kind.

Maybe the experiences are different but I also had a lost friendship in an accident recently, days before the JP earthquake. Those two events kept me shocked for days.

28. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed says:

I hope you're feeling ok, lovely. I'm sorry that you are going through something painful. I adore the Lewis Carroll poem you have posted, how lovely. Beautiful recipe, too.

Anh I am really bad at comforting.. I go around completely losing my words. So sorry to hear about your own quake in life. Sending wishes and prayers from far away, that you find that peace within yourself.

30. Kitchen Flavours says:

Everything here is very impressive…love the new look of the blog….love that recipe…love that poem….

31. edith says:

I felt your sentiment. Not too long ago, I too lost a friendship. Went through the same emotion as you but like what you mentioned, life really goes on.

32. Indie.Tea says:

It is difficult to watch the news these days…

33. Yasmin says:

I love good tasting comfort food, and this would fit the bill!

34. Karen says:

Hi Anh, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Your blog is lovely and I'm looking forward to discovering more of your delicious cooking. Some of my favorite trips have been to Vietnam, and I've always loved the food there. Sorry to hear about the loss of a friendship. Horrific disasters like the one in Japan remind us that every act of kindness, no matter how small, can make a

35. Yummy Koh says:

Nice chocolate pot.

36. Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says:

so sorry to hear your lost.

37. Cookie baker Lynn says:

Sorry for your sadness, Anh. Sending you a big virtual hug.

38. Barbara says:

I know, Anh. The stories coming out of Japan are so upsetting. And I'm sorry about the loss of your frienship….and yes, there is always hope. Take heart.

39. pigpigscorner says:

So sorry to hear about your loss. Hope everything gets better soon. The post look really delicious!

40. Nicisme says:

Sorry to read this Anh, I have you in my thoughts.

So sorry to hear about the loss sweetie. :|

42. Aparna says:

Am sorry to hear about that, but life is like that. Anh, as trite as it sounds, I can tell you things will seem better after a little while.

43. Tink's Spin says:

All your recipes look delicious , I must come back and get a few, thanks , I am getting hungry now < Tink

44. Patricia Scarpin says:

I am so sorry to hear that, sweetie – I went through something similar a long time ago and looking at it years later I knew it was the best for me; no point hanging out with an envious person who could hurt me and make my life miserable. :(

45. Christine@Christine's Recipes says:

The news about Japan everyday is depressing. Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

46. Gloria says:

Dear this look absolutely delicious and the pictures wonderful!

47. redmenace says:

On any given day, I could each much more than a pot of this delicious cream. How about a whole bowl? Looks wonderful.
    xoxo

48. Barbara says:

It is sad when a friendship breaks down. It happened to me last year and I found it very difficult.

49. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) says:

Beautiful clicks, Anh! Love the colour of your pot de creme.

50. Amy @ Elephant Eats says:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I too, had something similar happen. I'm not sure of the circumstances in your case, but I had something similar happen in my own life and realized in the end that it was for the best. The friendship had only caused me stress in the past because of all the drama this person insisted on creating. Sometimes things happen for a reason. This is one of my

51. maameemoomoo - a ½ food blog says:

Sorry about your lost, Anh :(

52. tinytearoom says:

some friendships weren't meant to last forever, but they existed for us to learn something from. These pots de creme look wonderfully delicious.

53. Kulsum@JourneyKitchen says:

Oh Anh – I know how you feel. So sorry for the loss. Friendship is so precious and yet fragile. I hope things get better with you. Love white chocolate as well even though not as much as dark but your friend is right! Richness and sweetness like childhood.

54. ABowlOfMush says:

This is stunning! looks so incredibly delicious!

55. Tina@foodboozeshoes says:

Looks good – hope it numbed some of the local and overall pain in your world :)

56. Sanjeeta kk says:

So sorry to hear about your loss, hope this dessert did bring a ray of positivity in your life.