Fig tart with almond crust

{And a sad farewell}

Fig tart.

Recently, my parents in law bid farewell to their home of more than 20 years and moved on. It was emotional and sad. And together with the move was the nightmare of cleaning up the junk here or there around the house.

I didn´t wish my parents to bring many things along to our new place (we don´t need 3 fridges, do we?). But I do secretly wish that we could take the fig tree with us. My in-laws are not into gardening so the only edible thing in their backyard is the fig tree. A really nice one, producing dark skin fruits with incredible flavours. For a few years now, I have harvested the fruits and made all sorts of jam and cakes with them. I feel proud and relief that I don´t have to pay the most ridiculous price for store-bought figs.

That soon will change. This year is our last season to enjoy home-grown figs. I am planning to grow a fig tree in our new house. But that will take time to produce fruits, provided that I have a green thumb. (Side note: in the current burke´s backyard magazine, there is one article about the largest fig tree in an Australian backyard. Grown in Melbourne! This gives me hope).

On the brighter side. This fig tart is easy and incredibly tasty. Originally I didn´t intend to take photos or write up a post on it. But the tart looked so pretty in the clear soft light; I reached out for my camera and took some shots. It looked sort of like this blooming flower photo of mine. So pretty.

Let me bloom for you, like a flower...

I did make a mistake of putting a little too much almond paste inside the tart case, so it was a bit wet. Don´t be too greedy when you make it.

Until I figure out how to grow figs, let´s enjoy this first then perhaps resort to store-bought figs. I will be saving my cash ;).

Fig tart in tray

Fig tart with almond crust

The beauty of this tart is that you can make it with a variety of fruits – sliced banana, rhubarb, apples, pear etc. It is good by itself or with a doolop of thick cream.

Printable recipe

Almond Crust (recipe from Guy Grossi)

1/2 Cup unsalted butter, softened

1/3 Cup caster sugar

1 Large egg, lightly beaten

1+1/2 Cups flour

1/2 Cups plus 2 tablespoons almond flour

Frangipane (recipe from Chez Pim). You only need 1/3 or less for this tart. Store the left-over in the fridge for future tart.

75g almond flour
75g sugar
75g butter at room temperature
1 large egg

Topping: ripe figs (around 10) and castor sugar

To Prepare Crust

Blend together the sugar and the butter until well combined, add the egg and mix well. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, almond flour and salt. Add this flour mixture into the butter mixture in two batches scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl between additions. Mix the dough until the mixture just holds. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days.

To Make Frangipane

Mix the almond flour together with the sugar in a food processor. Add the butter and the egg and pulse until well-combined. If you don´t want to use it right away, divide the frangipane into four equal parts, wrap each tightly in plastic. They will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, and up to a month in the freezer.

To assemble the tart:

Preheat the oven to 190C.

Roll out your pastry dough to about 10-inch diameter. Spread about 1/3 of the quantity of frangipane on the dough, leaving about 1 inch parameter around the outer edge of the dough.

Quarter the figs (only halve if small) and arrange them nicely onto the filling. Fold and pinch the edges in. Sprinkle the tart with a bit of sugar. Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the pastry edges are golden brown.

48 Responses to Fig tart with almond crust

1. john@heneedsfood says:

Good lord this looks insanely delicious! I'm stealing the almond crust recipe for another tart I'll be making

2. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Oh, that's too bad. A fig tree sounds wonderful. I would miss that too.

3. Karen | Citrus and Candy says:

Oh yum, I love these type of rustic galette tarts, especially with figs. I can only imagine just how great this tart is with home-grown fruit so how sad to say good bye :(

4. OohLookBel says:

That really is a pretty tart, and pretty delicious, too, I'll bet.

5. leaf (the indolent cook) says:

The figs look gorgeous. A sad farewell, indeed! But I'm sure there shall be more lovely fruits to harvest in your new place in the years to come.

Ah, the great fig-access divide! So you shall be joining we who whimper in supermarkets at the $10 trays, secretly loathing those with trees who moan about their fig glut? 😉

What a splendid galette! Rustic, yet so refined.

8. thequincepoacher.com says:

Oh, that's a bittersweet story. I can empathise. I once lived in a house with a large fig tree. Standing in the backyard eating the fresh figs off it was one of my favourite things to do. Now I'm growing one in the backyard of the house we live in but it is still very small. However, I did get a couple of fruit from it (I got it from Diggers, they have some interesting varieties). The

I bet money that you have a green thumb!

gorgeous tart and I love your plate – what a loss but also some hope as you plant your own tree – may it produce many juicy figs

11. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says:

What a beautiful tart!

12. La Table De Nana says:

The tart and bloom are beautiful..

Oh, I wish you could bring that lovely fig tree with you! The figs really are stunning, Anh!

14. Lick My Spoon says:

What a great pie. The photos are lush as usual Anh. I hope all goes well with your in laws living with you. Lived with mine for 2 years- no probs!!

Oh, I love the combination! It must be very delicious.

16. Sara says:

Yum, this looks super tasty!! :) Love all the fresh figs – delicious!

17. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Oh wow, you captured such a great shot on the fig tart. Everyone who see this picture can actually tell how delicious it is. I love a little bit of rustic tart texture and oh my… your photos are just incredibly beautiful. I enjoyed reading the post!

18. Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul says:

I adore figs Anh! This looks so beautiful. Love the pics too!

19. Jennifer (Delicieux) says:

What a gorgeous tart and a wonderful way to farewell the fig tree. I hope you figure out how to grow one soon.

20. ChichaJo says:

You are right…this is so pretty that you just have to take photos of it! How lucky that your in-laws had that tree. Over here you cannot get a fresh fig, not for love or money! Sending you the best of lucky wishes for your new fig tree…hope it grows healthy and strong and bears lots of sweet fruit! :)

21. Marnely Rodriguez says:

gorgeous figs :) you are such a talented photographer!

22. maameemoomoo - a ½ food blog says:

I haven't had FIGS before :(

23. Dee D. says:

That looks so gorgeous and perfect!

24. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets says:

What gorgeous clicks, Anh. I've been wanting to try a fresh figs dessert but they're so so expensive here 😡

25. Tanvi@SinfullySpicy says:

You should give me some tips on gardening Anh.I love having little home garden but nothing survives here :( I love how the parchments looks like a worn out background.And that china plate-gorgeous.

You know I only discovered the fuss about figs this season? I'd tried them before but they never appealed! Actually, they must have had a glut because the figs at my fruit shop were very reasonable :) Sad to hear about the tree but the tart is a very beautiful fitting farewell. I love that flower photo, gorgeous.

27. Arwen from Hoglet K says:

How sad that you're losing your fig tree! May your new one grow strongly and fruit prolifically. These tarts look too good to miss!

28. Vivienne says:

hey anh, that shot of the flower is gorgeous…the colour, the lighting etc…its perfect!! enjoy the most outta your fig tree this season!! so lucky…figs are so expensive in the markets!

29. TasteHongKong says:

It would be a pity not taking a shot for this awesome tart.

I would not bear to leave my backyard behind too….

31. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed says:

Oh Anh, deep breath – this looks simply divine. I cannot wait to make it. I only hope fig season lasts…forever…

32. Christy says:

Lovely tart, and hope to see pics of your own fig tree soon:D

bookmarked! can't wait to try this. Fig is gorgeous and my favorite thing to eat. here we get it only for a few weeks and I have been missing it for the last 2 years. This year a few wks back we went and got a small sapling and planted in the yard and i think we killed it:( no leaves.. it looks all dried up. we got hail right after we planted and then very high temp for the next few days. I

34. Maria says:

I've been so fortunate to enjoy some of the sweetest figs this season. This tart is a great way to celebrate the delicious produce.

35. Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! says:

I'm missing figs already! This looks gorgeous Anh! And shame about the fig tree – hopefully you'll be able to grow a magnificant one in your own backyard to replace it :) Store bought figs are so pricey that I only ever buy a few at a time and eat them as they are.

36. aneyefordetail says:

We just planted our first fig tree in our new house! It's 3 feet now, and hopefully will grow very quickly…I just can't wait to harvest those figs!

37. Aparna says:

I make fig tarts every year. They're in season here right now.

38. Karen says:

We used to have a fig tree in our backyard in New Orleans, but it got so huge we had to get rid of it. The figs it produced were not very good either, so it wasn't a big deal. Your fig tart looks so delicious and pretty! Love the photo of the flower, that's gorgeous.

39. Kris Ngoei says:

Irresistible shots! That shows how great you are with this fig tart…

40. WizzyTheStick says:

Lordy I am seriously crying that they couldn't take that fig tree.

41. Two fit and fun gals says:

this looks lovely, i havent cooked or baked with figs, i do want to though it is such a lovely fruit

42. Sally - My Custard Pie says:

The figs look a lot better than the ones I can buy. Beautiful pics.

43. Two fit and fun gals says:

i love this! i wish you could take the fig tree with you as well .. ihavent had fig before, but seeing this makes me want to go out and buy some!

44. Forager @ The Gourmet Forager says:

That looks amazing! That's a productive fig tree you have there – if you have any secrets to impart on successful fig tree growing, I'd love to hear it -my nonno loves figs, but his tree only produces several precious figs per season.

45. jess says:

Ohhh what a great idea! I LOVE almonds and figs – my grandparents have a few fig trees in their backyard, and I used to eat them with almonds and walnuts when I was younger. Must try the almond pastry with them now, much more grown up :)

46. mycookinghut says:

I definitely love the look of this tart! Can't wait to try out!

47. I says:

My mouth is watering just reading this. Can't wait to try out the recipe. Thanks for the post!

48. Anonymous says:

Cuttings are so very easy to take from fig trees, you could probably go and get some from your in-laws garden and remember a cutting is a clone so should bear the same tasty fruit. I took seven cuttings a couple of years ago and five took and are now in friends gardens, and bearing fruit (though not many yet) will make the tart, I have a glut of figs at the moment, gonna dry some and make jam.